-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I am considering buying a 2017 Sprinter based motorhome

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I am considering buying a 2017 Sprinter based motorhome today. I have found on line an article strongly discouraging buying a 2009+ Sprinter due to and extremely problematic and expensive to repair emissions system. Have they been change for 2017 and what are your thoughts? Thanks
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: It will be new. Automatic. We will likely not put high miles on it but do intend to keep it for years
JA: What year is your Sprinter?
Customer: 2017
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Please read message
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 19 days ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

There has been quite a few changes to the emission system and how it operates since 2009. Just like the 6.7 when it first came out in 2007 we had emission issues on every vehicle that we sold, but now we still see emission issues but maybe 2 a week compared to 2 a day. So if your only worry is the emissions then I would not let that stop me from purchasing the Sprinter just make sure all the recalls are performed and also make sure all the modules are up to date to prevent any emissions issues in the future..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
HiI am not concerned about emissions but rather the high cost of Maint on it.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 19 days ago.

As long as you keep the software up to date and the service done then you should be ok. Like I said the 2017 is much better than the 2009's..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 19 days ago.

Do you need more help?