sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2014 ram 3500 with 38k miles has no heat engine temp is

Customer Question

My 2014 ram 3500 with 38k miles has no heat engine temp is good? I took truck to the dealer they said blend door is working they thought the heater core may be stopped up but I don't believe that what do you think?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David. do both radiator hoses get hot?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't ask
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any common problems with these late model trucks?

so the dealer still has the vehicle. ok. well unless you can verify a few things, this is going to be a tough one. if the heater core is clogged up then only one heter hose at the firewall will get hot and the other will not. if both are hot then its not the heater core.

there are no known common problems with the cooling systems on these.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so let's say both heater hoses are hot is there anything like a sensor or electic valve that will keep it from blowing hot?

theres the blend door that theyve verified is ok. if the hoses are both hot and the blend door is good, theres nothing left except the controller.

checking in to see how its going

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the blend door is operating correctly and the engine temperature is normal then the problem is almost surely a restricted heater core.

Was heat lost progressively?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got my truck back from the shop last Friday,and even though both heater hoses were hot it turned out a new heater core did fix the problem.I talked Chrysler into covering most of the bill. The problem is that new OAT coolant Is JUNK and the passages in the core are so small it clogs up and only lets coolant flow through a few passages at a time thus causing the core to never get hot. OAT coolant is designed to last 1,000,000 ml and it didn't last 40k in my truck.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

The issue is the flux not being flushed out of the radiator during manufacturing by the vendor and it's creating aluminum oxide which plugs the heater core passages.

I'm glad you got it repaired!