Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

The heat gauge keeps going up to high. We have replaced both

Customer Question

The heat gauge keeps going up to high. We have replaced both the radiator fans and the thermostat but it still shows that it is over heating.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Yes. No loss of coolant.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2001 Chrysler town and country
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Replaced both radiator fans about a month ago. Was running fine till Sunday. Started showing hot and when we shut it off and then restarted it and it ran fine for about 15 minutes. Then the heat gauge goes right back up to hot. Changed the drivers side fan again today and it will run for a while and then show hot. Hasn't boiled over at all.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know about right now.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 18 days ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.