-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2003 cummings is very hard to start. Starts instantly with

Customer Question

2003 cummings is very hard to start. Starts instantly with eather then runs great. installed a high pressure fuel pump system which seemed to fix problem but it is hard to start again.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: yes, replaced it last year then installed an external pump and system with two filters
JA: What is the model of your '03 Dodge?
Customer: 3500 pick up
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 21 days ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

What is your rail psi when your cranking? You need at least 6,000 psi to start a Cummins.. Are you going to be repairing this or are you just looking at what it could be?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I am looking for what it could be right now then I will get someone to help me.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 21 days ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

The most common issue we see is leaking injectors that won't build pressure to start the engine.. You first need to make sure the lift pump is supplying 500ml in 10 seconds, then you will need a scantool to monitor the cranking rail pressure to see if it's low, then perform a injector return test to see if it's excessive and if yes then start blocking of each injector until the rail pressure comes back and replace that injector.. I will also say that if you have never replaced the inejctors this would be a good time for a new set of Bosch injectors..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 21 days ago.

I see that you have read my reply at 12:23PM but I have not received a positive rating nor a reply if you need more help...

Standing by...

Expert:  -Brad- replied 20 days ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 19 days ago.

If you need more help feel free to shoot me a reply, and if your all set then I would appreciate a positive rating so I get credit for helping you..

Thanks,

Brad

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I had a mechanic look at my truck and he said I had a leaking fitting on the fuel line and it was sucking air. He fixed that and told me it starts right up now.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 15 days ago.

Glad you got it fixed..

And thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Truck seems to start ok when warm or temp is warm. When air temp is cold and truck sits for several hours or overnight it will not start without starting fluid.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
bot***** *****ne truck is not fixed.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 days ago.

Have you done any of the testing I asked? You need to do a injector return test and you will most likely find a leaking injector causing all your issues..

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I just dropped the truck off at the mechanic and had him read your response.
I will let you know how he makes out.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 days ago.

Glad I could help and remember you can still reply after the rating..