-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

97 dodge ram 1500 .. on side of hwy near nothing .. 4x4

Customer Question

97 dodge ram 1500 .. on side of hwy near nothing .. 4x4 stayed making noise but was in*****.. now light on won't go off. .tried banking up to disengage like old school style. Did not work. Can I disengage the rear drive shaft and drive truck in 2 wheel (I assume that would put it in***** to get to a town?
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 20 days ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

If your 4WD light is on then it's in 4WD. The switch is in the front disconnect and is vacuum operated, can you tell me if there is vacuum on the red and black lines to the disconnect? If not then you will need to check the switch on the top of the transfercase fro vacuum.. If you have a 7/16 you can remove the front disconnect and slide the ring over which will put it in 2wd so you can drive it..

Let me know,

Brad