Jake Cheek
Jake Cheek,
Experience:  Automotive Technician at Hendrick Chevrolet
96914122

My issue is with a Dodge Nitro SLT 2007, 3.7L 4x4 This video

Customer Question

My issue is with a Dodge Nitro SLT 2007, 3.7L 4x4 This video is the exact representation of the issue I am having. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QUjYOZz98o
JA: Are you fixing your Nitro yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Went to a dealer and a mechanic, they can't figure it out.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I just watched your video. Does this happen after the car sits for a while? If so, let it sit overnight. The next day put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON but do not try to start it. Go from ON to OFF multiple times leaving it in the ON position for about 3 seconds. After doing this try to start the car. If it fires right up you have a bad check valve in the fuel pump and fuel is draining back into the tank so the initial cranking has no fuel in the lines to the engine. Let me know how this test turns out.

If the test works as I said you will need a new fuel pump assembly, located in the fuel tank.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It actually happens only when the engine heats up, when I drive for awhile and then don't let it sit for long, like when I run into a store for five minutes.. could it be the fuel pump relay??

It could. From the video it looks like it is starved for fuel. That would be a good place to start since those relays do get very hot. That or the powertrain relay.