Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2003 Dodge Durango computer codes' 440, 442, 456. Exactly

Customer Question

2003 Dodge Durango computer codes' 440, 442, 456. Exactly what is the problem and what specifically do I need to make repairs
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, fixing myself. Replaced gas cap, that was not the problem.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts very well. Does not appear to be a gas hog.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, my guess the problem is in the emission system.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david craig replied 28 days ago.

Hi I m david, thanks for visiting the site. allow me a moment to pull up some information for you. thank you.

P0440 DODGE - General EVAP System Failure Possible causes - Missing or loose fuel cap - Incorrect fuel filler cap used - Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close - Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap - EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks - EVAP system hose leaking - Fuel tank leaking The P0440 code means that the control module has detected a leak in the Evaporative Emission (EVAP). Loose fuel tank filler cap is the most common cause that triggers the P0440 code.

P0442 DODGE - Evaporative Emission Control Small Leak Detected Possible causes - Missing or loose fuel cap - Incorrect fuel filler cap used - Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close - Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap - EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks - EVAP system hose leaking - Fuel tank leaking The P0442 code means that the control module has detected a small leak in the Evaporative Emission (EVAP). Loose fuel tank filler cap is the most common cause that triggers the P0442 code

P0456 DODGE - EVAP System Small Leak Possible causes - Missing or loose fuel cap - Incorrect fuel filler cap used - Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close - Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister or fuel tank leaks - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system hose leaking - Fuel tank leaking

you need to have a smoke test done to the evap system to find your leak. that is the only option your have if the cap did not take care of the faults.

checking in to see how its going

Expert:  david craig replied 27 days ago.

hello???????

Expert:  david craig replied 26 days ago.

do you still need assistance??????

Expert:  Amedee replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

Different expert here.

Did you still need help?

If so, please let me know.

I will be happy to help.