-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2014 3500 6.7 Laramie mega cab. when I push the start

Customer Question

2014 3500 6.7 Laramie mega cab.
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: when I push the start button, it clicks at the starter i replaced the starter same single click i can jump start the truck, but it will not hold a charge
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: it sounds like it coming from the starter 2 weeks ago
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 23 days ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

What is the voltage at the batteries when you press the start button? Will it start if you jump it off? When it's running what is the voltage at the batteries?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
12.7 & 12.75 when I start it. While running its 14vYes I can jump it
Expert:  -Brad- replied 23 days ago.

ok since it's staying above 12v when starting then the batteries are good.. But did you say that when you jump start it that it will crank and run?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
How will continue our conversation
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
it will crank and stay running.But I've only driven 5 miles or less.
If I turn the truck off for 10 minutes or so, the truck will not turn on
Expert:  -Brad- replied 23 days ago.

So the batteries are staying at 12v but it will not start unless you jump it off? When the start just clicks can you take your multimeter and tell me what the voltage is on the small wire at the starter when the key is in the start position. Also can I get your VIN number to grab a wiring diagram?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'm at work, I will do that thus evening
When I get home
Expert:  -Brad- replied 23 days ago.
Ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
3C63RRML7EG215574
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Do I put my red lead on the positive post and the black lead to ground?
What voltage should I be looking for?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 20 days ago.

Good morning..

Yes the red lead to the 12v RED post and the black to either the black - lead or a good ground spot...

Let me know,

Brad

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I'm seeing 12v at the starter
Expert:  -Brad- replied 20 days ago.

Did you test with the wire connected or disconnected? If you reconnect the wire will the starter engage, if no then have someone hold the key in the start position and test the small wire when it's connected.. If no 12v but you do have 12v when you disconnect it then your TIPM(Fusebox) is bad..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
if that's the issue, what would this power module cost?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 20 days ago.

I just attached the starter wiring diagram for you. Have you tried swapping the starter relay in the fuse box? The fuse box is rather expensive and it will need to be programmed if bad..

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
According to many other conversations, if the TIPM was indeed (bad). I would not be able to jump start my truck and drive it.
If the TIPM was bad, it would not stay running.But thanks fir your advice anyways,RZ
Expert:  -Brad- replied 18 days ago.

The TIPM has many functions and just because the starter relay maybe bad in the TIPM does not mean it would affect other circuits...

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
After more testing, both batteries were found only putting out 30 amps together during starting.both batteries have been replaced.You and I only tested voltage we never discussed CCA.Take careRZ