-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Will not start. Cranks fine. Shot either, no fire. Tried

Customer Question

Will not start. Cranks fine. Shot either, no fire. Tried spare key. Still no start. R&R Crank Sensor, no start. Still no fire.
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2006 5.7 hemi
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. battery reset, spare key, crank sensor, starting fluid.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: occasionaly will get fire, but only for 1 second, then nothing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Do you know what codes are setting in the PCM?

Do you see a security light on in the dash?

Did it stall or just wouldn't start oneday?

Have you checked the fuel psi and for spark?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NO CODES. NO ENGINE LIGHT. NO SPARK.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I HAVE TRIED SPARE KEY, RESET THE BATTERY, R&R CRANK SHAFT SENSOR, AND USED STARTING FLUID. ENGINE CRANKS GREAT. WILL NOT START. ACTS LIKE NO FIRE TO SPARK PLUGS.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

Did it stall or just won't start?

Have you verified no spark?

Has any work been previously done?

have you checked compression?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I JUST TOLD YOU EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN DONE. COMPRESSION IS NOT THE PROBLEM. DID NOT STALL. WILL NOT START.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
VERIFIED NO FIRE BY USING STARTING FLUID. PULLED THE AIR FILTER COVER AND SHOT THE EITHER INTO THE INTAKE DUCT WHILE CRANKING. NO IGNITION.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
REPLACED THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. NO IGNITION.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

With a scantool is the crankshaft and camshaft sensors in sync?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
NO CODES SHOWN
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HELLO
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a scantool or cheap code reader? Does it show the camshaft and crankshaft sensors in sync or out of sync?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HAD ONE ON IT YESTERDAY. IS SHOWED NO CODES. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON, OFF AND ON FOR A FEW DAYS NOW. TRUCK CAN BE COLD, OR HOT AND RUNNING FINE ONE DAY. NEXT DAY IT WILL NOT START. COME BACK IN 20 MINUTES, AND ALL IS OK.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

What is your VIN number?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3D7KS19D56G226754
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HELLO?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

You have 2 open recalls on your vehicle for the airbags..

I have been researching your intermittent no start and there are a few cases on no start no crank but in your case it's cranking fine just won't start and you don't have spark.. Anytime your dealing with a no start and no spark it's electrical which means you will need a scantool to monitor the PCM and TIPM. I have attached the no start diagnostics you will need to follow to determine the issue..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still not starting. I have two SKIM keys, have tried both. Could there be a problem with the key reader? If so, how do I troubleshoot it? Can it be bypassed?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

If there was a security issue the red light would be on in the dash.. When you ran the test when did you find?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I ran through the TS guide you sent. I found no discrepancies. Put everything back together, truck started and ran fine 2 times. Now, no start again. This has gone intermittent. I could be in the airbag or security system. Pretty sure it's going to be a dealer only type fix.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 27 days ago.

Good morning..

Yes it sounds like you have an intermittent issue and the only way you will be able to find what is going on is if it's gets worse and when it will not start you are able to see if your loosing spark or fuel. Once you know what your missing you can start checking..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I keep telling you it is losing fire, not fuel.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 27 days ago.

If you are sure it's loosing spark then I would monitor the crankshaft and camshaft sensors and see if they are counting and In Sync, the PCM needs to see both In Sync before it will power up the ASD relay and send the ground pulse to the coils..

Let me know what you find,

Brad

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I changed the crank sensor. The TS guide you sent said to disconnect the cam sensor and it should start. No luck. No codes shown. No check engine light, No security light except while cranking.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 27 days ago.

Ok so the security red light is on solid when your cranking and it will not start? That is your issue then, do you have a spare key?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Tried them both
Expert:  -Brad- replied 27 days ago.

If both keys will not start it then it's likely your key module which is the SKIM module is bad.. Unless you have a scantool then you will need a dealership to replace the SKIM module because it will need to be programmed and then you will need to program the keys to the new SKIM module..