Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Rough idle for the last couple of weeks; smells bad at start

Customer Question

Rough idle for the last couple of weeks; smells bad at start up as of this week, like incomplete combustion. Throttle body's clean, new idle control valve, new exhaust system, all as of a couple of months ago.
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: Consistent. Also not real rough (not like a cylinder not firing). Just not smooth like it should be. Also hesitated this morning, until warmed up. Plenty of power on the highway.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1993 Shadow, 2.5L TBI w/ manual tranny
JA: Are you fixing your Shadow yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I know that thing like my own child. I haven't addressed the rough idle issue yet. I plan to this weekend. I thought I'd do some research first. One thing I didn't do when I changed out the exhaust system is that I didn't change the O2 sensor, nor did I clean it. Computer's not throwing an O2 code, so I figured I shouldn't touch it. Now I'm beginning to wonder.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'd like to know if this is one of those pay type websites, and if so, how much?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. How long ago has this vehicle been tuned up? Spark plugs air fitter etc.