Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

It has a ticking knocking sound In engine installed new

Customer Question

it has a ticking knocking sound In engine installed new lifters and rod bearings still the same what could it be
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: started all at once no warning
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2002 dodge ram 1500 st 4.7l engine
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried lifters and rod bearings
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.

If all of this is OK then its possible the issue is with the dual mass flywheel on the other end of the engine, these are constructed in the same way I mentioned for the front pulley but are more prone to problems due to greater heat and larger forces.

If your gearstick is rattling this is another pointer to this being the problem.

.0pt'>and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have took the belt off no change
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

OK in that case I'd try and use a long screwdriver or metal tube like a stethoscope to try pinpoint the origin of the noise

if the timbre of the noise is high pitched and towards the front of the engine its possible that the timing chain is loose or badly worn

if its a deeper noise towards the bottom of the engine then it coudl be a main bearing and you should next measure the oil pressure to see if its outside the correct range

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The guage inside reads good oil pressure also I have change out lifters and rod bearings
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

OK

so hopefully the bottom end is OK

have you tried the stethoscope trick to pinpoint the origin of the noise?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not yet will this weekend
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

understood