sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a dodge 2500 diesel, when I turn the key the truck

Customer Question

I have a dodge 2500 diesel, when I turn the key the truck wants to start but there is no fuel going into fuel filter and there is a clicking sound coming from the security relay fuse
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: The car is in park, I don't think the truck has a wheel lock feature, when I opened the door the lheadlighrs start blinking
JA: What year is your B2500?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: clean battery terminals, change fuel filter, the fuel filter won't prime
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If there is no fuel to the filter then the transfer pump isn't running for some reason, assuming there is actually fuel in the tank. The problem could be the pump itself or the ECM not controlling it.

If you turn the key on, bump the starter and let off the key do you hear the pump run for 25 seconds?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I hear the pump, and I hear a clicking sound coming from the security relay fuse and headlights are blinking, sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, works been busy
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What's the ECM?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 22 days ago.

The ECM is the module that controls the engine.

Can you add five gallons of fuel to the tank, open the fuel filter drain line with a drain pan under it, bump the key and allow the pump to run for a couple cycles and see if it starts to get fuel?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No fuel is coming out of the tube, I added five gallons, opened the drain tube from the fuel filter pump and start the engine and then turned the key to the off position and did it over and over again, there's no fuel in the pan

You're turning the key to the run position, bump the starter and allowing the key back to the run position rather than off. Do you actually hear the pump running the way you're doing it?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No I don't hear the pump running,
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Every day that I start the truck I heard a high pitch sound, I don't hear that sound
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 21 days ago.

Do you have an incandescent test light?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No, I going buy one right now though

What you'll want to do is unplug the transfer pump connector and set the test light up across the two terminals in the connector. Turn the key on and bump the starter and see if the test light lights up. If it does light but the pump doesn't run then the pump has failed.

Customer: replied 22 hours ago.
Eh brah I sorry I never get back to you my mom was sick and I had to fly off island, I just changed the fuel transfer pump, there wasn't that sound that I usually hear, there was some fuel in the filter though, any ideas? ECM?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 21 hours ago.

Does the pump run now?

Customer: replied 21 hours ago.
No, there's a buzzing sound but not the high pitch from the pump

The injectors will take for a period after the key is turned on. The transfer pump will buzz for 25 seconds if you bump the starter and let off the key. Does the noise you're hearing happen when the key is turned on or only after bumping the starter?

Customer: replied 21 hours ago.
After bumping the starter and turning off the key I hear a sound for about 20
Seconds

Did you bleed the injector pump?

Customer: replied 21 hours ago.
No

Do you now have flow from the filter drain line with it open and the pump running?

Customer: replied 21 hours ago.
I have fuel coming out of the drain line

Odds are there is just air in the injector pump then if the pump had failed and does run now. The next step will be to bleed the injectors.

Customer: replied 20 hours ago.
Is that hard to do?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 20 hours ago.

You'll need to connect a battery charger, have a helper crank the engine while a second person opens each accessible injector line at the head. When fuel spurts strongly then the line can be closed and move to the next one. After 2-3 are bled then it should start. It's not hard but can be dangerous to work around the running/cranking engine and there will be fuel spray.