-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2004 Dodge 3500, diesel. At first, I noticed that I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge 3500, diesel. At first, I noticed that I would loose my accelerator pedal, once in a while, but not often. Slowly, it got worse, to the point that while traveling down the highway, it would just, drop to an idle. it has never, not cranked up. It starts every time I hit the key. Now, I have to slowly play with the accelerator pedal, up and down, just to go 30 to 40 mph. Can you tell me what it is ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

It sounds like you may have a bad APPS sensor which is the same thing as a TPS sensor but for a Cummins. Is the check engine light on and if yes do you know what codes are setting? Are you going to be doing the repairs yourself or just looking at what could be wrong?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The light is on, but I haven't checked the codes. I will do the repairs if I can, but i dont know how to reset the ecm once the repairs are done. Will I need a tech to reset, and or calibrate any new sensors?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

No you won't have to relearn anything when you replace the APPS sensor which is called a Bellcrank if you get one from us(Dealership). I would suggest checking the codes first and make sure your dealing with a bad APPS..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I went and pulled up those codes:
P2121
P2122
P0646
P2509
P2127 This one flashed 3X's
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

The P2127 is P2127-ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR NO.2 LOW. It's most likely bad and I would suggest replacing it.. In order to test it you will need a scantool to monitor the voltage

Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

Also you will want to make sure the ECM has the latest software..

Case NumberK07044204

Vehicle IssueMIL, any combination of Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS or PPS) fault codes such as P2121, P2122, P2123, P2127, P2128. The engine may intermittently loose throttle response.;There has been recent repairs or modifications to the truck. The ECM was recently replaced or The ECM was recently re-programmed with an aftermarket 'downloader' device.

System or ComponentDTC / Error Message;Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS);Yes - Continuously

RecommendationVerify the ECM is programmed with the correct calibration (displayed ECM part number). If the ECM is not calibrated to the correct part number, the ECM will have to be replaced and flashed with the correct calibration (ECM part number). Reference TSB 18-033-04.

Modification Date

01/31/08 2:06 PM

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I use a volt meter and measure resistance?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.

You can try but its much easier with a scantool. I have attached the diagnostics for you..