-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2013.5 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 Diesel CC bed ~56K

Customer Question

Hello,I have a 2013.5 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 Diesel CC long bed ~56K miles... I have a steering a clunk when I travel over bumps and variations in the road, it exhibits itself more noticeably going around left turns and is more noticeably at lower speeds. Not so much at all when turning right. I took it to the dealer, they said ball joints (both sides) and track bar bushings. If I remember like $3k to do it. Like anyone would do, I told them to take a hike. . But I did replace the ball joints (Moog uppers, factory lowers) on both sides and got a new Carli track bar. Installed it all but no change in condition. Obviously dealer was full of it (shocking I know), but what else could it be? Also, I tried to update the Uconnect 8.4 and it got stuck on updating the air card and it appears to have bricked it, any thoughts? And why are these Rams so horrible?K that's like 3 Q's the first is mostly what I am concerned about...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Can you duplicate the noise when your sitting still and turning the steering wheel or do you need to be moving? Also are you updating the radio with the USB stick that was sent to you?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey Brad thanks!I have never noticed it while simply turning the wheel while stopped and usually not when going straight or at higher speed. When I am under 10mph and in a moderate left turn is when I notice it the most.The USB stick was created via the ISO on the Uconnect website, most the updates take i.e. 9 out of 12 total. But when it gets to the 10th (Sierra Wireless AirCard) it throws an error: "Sierra Wireless: bolo file install failed. Please remove USB stick to reset." I have tried it about 5 times and also different USB sticks as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Correction its typically 30 mph or under and not 10 mph.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

Have you checked the front hubs and the U-joint in the axles? Can I get your VIN to search for any bulletins? Also is your update level 16.13.13?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I swapped the ball joints I did not notice anything regarding the U-Joints, but possibly the hubs... Are we starting to narrow it down to only those components?MY13_MY14_RA4_16_13_13 is the file downloaded for the update. 3C63R3KL0DG539450
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

There are no bulletins on the 2013 with any suspension issues but I would jack up both wheels and spin the tire and check the U joints behind each wheel and then grab the top of the tire and the bottom and try and move it back and forth to check for any lateral movement and then start it up and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth and check for any loose play..

Also if your hanging up on the aircard then allow the radio to reset back to factory by following the bulletin I have attached.. If it gets still hangs up on the air card 3 times then the radio will need to be replaced or stay with the software level it's at..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Brad I don't see the bulletin attachment
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
NVM I got the uconnect to reset. I think the aircard is dead. There is no 3G/4G icon by the Apps button. Also the Uconnect app store is broken. Terrible. I bet I have to replace the whole unit with nav and everything. Do you know part # and cost?I will check the hubs/u-joint and let you know.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Sorry about that.. I attached it now..

And you would like a price of a radio?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Part # is fine. Do you know if there is an updated version where I dunno the aircard doesn't die? lol. These things are obviously junk and are probably $2K to fix an air card.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Do you still need help?