-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Changed fuel pump in tank now cannot get truck to start. no

Customer Question

changed fuel pump in tank now cannot get truck to start. no power to the pump
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: cannot hear pump running. no electrical power to the pump
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2002 dodge ram 2500 turbo diesel
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. need to know if there is a control unit that sends power to the pump
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

There is fuse #9 in the junction block which feeds the fuel pump relay.

The other 1/2 of the fuel pump relay is fed from fuse #3 in the pdc near the battery.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Here are the wiring diagrams,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is the junction block? I thought the diesel does not have a relay?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

left end of dash

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

On a factory 2002 Dodge ram with the Cummins engine the lift pump which is called the supply pump is mounted on the rear of the driver side of the engine and not in the tank. There are no fuses to the lift pump and the ECM supplies 12v to the lift pump.. Now can you tell me if it wouldn't start and you tried replacing the module in the tank and now it still won't start, or was it running fine before you replaced the module in the fuel tank? Bump the starter which means kick the engine over for just a sec and tell me if the yellow wire at the transfer pump on the side of the engine has 12v and if you hear it buzzing?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This truck has the pump in the tank. There is no fuel pump by the filter. I cannot hear the pump running. No electrical power to the pump. Is there a control unit for the pump? When I turn the key on I get nothing but the starter clicking
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

The only way the pump is in the tank is if the In-Tank conversion kit has been installed and if this has been converted then you will need to use the In-Tank module and not the factory sending unit that doesn't have the pump. When we(Dealership) install a conversion kit the old transfer pump is replaced with a block that allows the fuel to run thru it and we add a relay that is zip tied to the upper firewall area. You will need to located the old transfer pump wiring and find the connector that has been added and follow it up to the relay. Once you find the relay tell me if pun 30 and 86 have 12v when you bump the starter.. A quick test will be to jump pins 30 to 87 which will send 12v directly to the pump..

Talk soon,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Can I get your VIN number so I can get you the correct In Tank fuel pump module part number? Also let me know what part number you installed..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Delphi fuel pump assembly EFG1080
Vin 3B7KF23622M210294. I had the injector pump replaced on this a few years ago. Thats probably when they did the conversion with the pump. For the last couple weeks it was getting hard to start, like not enough pressure to start. Was running great on the road.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

That VIN comes back on a Bright White 2002 Ram 4x4 and the part number for the pump in the tank is RL179873AB and it lists for $360.00. You will need to contact the supplier and make sure the EFG1080 will interchange. So you didn't do any testing and you just decided to try a new fuel pump to see if it would help with your hard start? Hard start is most likely due to leaking injectors. You will need to get the pump issues corrected first then you will need to see if the lift pump is producing 500ml of fuel in 10 seconds at the injection pump. If yes then you don't have a fuel supply issue but rather a injector issue.. You will then need to run a injector return test to see if any and which ones are leaking and this test requires some special banjo fitting that we(Dealership) have. Or you could take a chance and replace the inejctors but that would be up to you..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I jumped the pins and can hear the pump working. So a bad relay? Can you get me a part number? Thanks!
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

No just because you jumped the relay doesn't mean it's bad.. Now we need to do more testing.. Since you jumped 30 and 87 and the fuel pump runs now we need to see if pin 86 has 12v and 85 has a ground, the 85/86 are the control side of the relay and we need to see which one is missing...

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the correct way to test the pin for 12 volts. Sorry, not up on this stuff.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

You can either test it with a test light or multimeter...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Multimeter with one probe on the 85 and the other on 86?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the confusion...

If you have a multimeter then you will need to ground the black lead and test for voltage with the red lead and it set to DCV. To test for ground you will need to connect the red lead to 12v and test with the black lead and it should read 12v if it has a ground.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tested these and I am getting nothing. You said to bump the starter right? What is the next step?