Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango. Wednesday, it ran hot and I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango. Wednesday, it ran hot and I found a leak near the radiator. I figured I'd work on it over the weekend. Thursday (mid-day), I went to start it and it would not start. I got it jumped using a co-worker's car, and drove it home. I stopped for about 10 minutes and was able to start it back up with no problem. I made it to my destination and was there for about 2 hours. This time, it wouldn't start. I got it jumped off using my my wife's car and made it home. This morning, it wouldn't start again. The local AutoZone says the battery, starter, and alternator are all good. What else could it be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK - great
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

If the engine starts each time with a jump, then this is usually a bad battery or a bad connection at the battery.

Sometimes the starter can work intermittantly and cause a no crank condition but work just fine when it is being tested so there may not be any hint of a bad starter. So the best way to diagnose this condition is to check the battery voltage and the voltage down at the starter with the key in the CRANK position when this no crank condition occurs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do we get started?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But the tech at AutoZone checked the battery, starter, and alternator from the truck and said they were all fine.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I understand that sir.

I am saying that they go bad intermittantly and may have tested out ok, but can still be bad causing this intermittant no crank.

In addition, we are checking for voltage down at the starter. This will ensure the integrity of the starting circuit.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Now, the question is why would it start each time when you jumped it?

There could be two reasons. Either it is something related to a low voltage situation (battery or connection issue) or it is simply a coincidence. Because it might be something un related (starter relay, connection issue possibly PCM) but just happen to start working again at the same time when you jumped the vehicle.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Keep in mind, we can even speak on the phone if you would like.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I have to log off line for a bit. I will send over a premium offer with my phone number. If you would like, you can accept my offer and call me so we can talk more in detail about this. I will be back on line in about 1 hour.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK - now, how do I check the voltage at the starter?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK - now, how do I check the battery voltage and voltage at the starter?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

You would use a test light or a voltmeter to check for voltage on the big and small wire going to the starter while an assistant turns the key to the CRANK position.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have one of those and I'm not sure how to access the starter... guess I'll have to take it in. Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

You are most welcome.

I will be here if you have any further questions.