Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Don't wont start whit out spraying a starter, battery - OK,

Customer Question

don't wont start whit out spraying a starter
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: battery - OK, fuel pressure reg -OK
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2004 5.9L diesel
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: computer show once - miss fier 2-nd ingect. but not anymore
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: as cold is limping but hot works good
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Does it require starting fluid with the engine cold and hot?

Does outside air temp have any effect on the ability to start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm still waiting for the answer?

Once I hear back from you on the questions I asked, i can start helping.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Doesn't matter, cold or hot , half of a second starter spray and is starting.
1.full pressure regulator /sensor OK
2.air flow, filter, pre heating OK
3. Fuel FILTER OK

Check the pressure in the common rail while cranking using a scan tool. Should be at least 4500 PSI. Voltage from the pressure sensor should be at least 1.3 volts when cranking. If not, check for excessive return flow or lift pump supply issues. The lift pump should be able to supply 45 ounces of fuel every 25 seconds. Check the pressure limiting valve. Remove the banjo bolt from the pressure limiting valve on top of the common rail and move the line away from the valve. The valve is normally closed and no fuel should be leaking from the valve when cranking. Fuel may come up the line. This is the return flow from the high pressure pump and the injectors. If fuel is leaking from the valve, replace it. If OK, remove all the injector lines and torque the nuts in the head securing the fuel connecting tubes. Torque the nuts to 37 ft.lbs. If its still has the issues. check the return flow from the injectors. To check return flow from the injectors without the special tool (Miller Tool #9012 or equivalent), first block off the return hose to the fuel tank. This hose is behind the fuel filter. Then remove the front end of the 6 inch rubber return hose between the fuel filter and the high pressure pump. The return hose is the upper hose of the two and usually has low pressure band clamps on it. Connect one clear hose to the tube coming from the high pressure pump and another clear hose to the rubber return hose. Let the hose from the high pressure pump dump into a bucket. Catch the fuel from the hose connected to the 6 inch rubber hose into a graduated container. This is the fuel coming from the port on the back of the head which is the fuel getting past the injectors. First, get the engine running by disconnecting the heater grids on the intake manifold and spray a shot of carburetor spray into the intake. With the engine idling, measure the amount of fuel captured in 1 minute. The maximum amount of fuel returned from the injectors is 6 oz. per minute with the engine idling. To isolate which injector has the most return flow, a special tool (Miller Tool #9011 or equivalent) is needed to block off one injector line at a time and then recheck the injector return flow. Each injector should return less than 1 oz. per minute so if 5 injectors are still connected, the return flow should now be less than 5 oz. per minute.

.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help. Rating is the only way I am paid from the deposit you made.

Thanks Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 25 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris