b5demon
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist
13235514

2008 dodge sprinter rear AC cycles on and off when temp is

Customer Question

2008 dodge sprinter rear AC cycles on and off when temp is set to partial cold and doesn't work at all on full cold. Freon is good,rear evap temp reads 68 degrees ferinhiet on the scanner. I also get 3 messages on scanner. 1. Off because of icing of evaporator. 2.Off because of desired value of rear. With existing Underflo construction the desired value is on heating. and 3. Off because of Europe. Compliance icing cycle. Life span. Need to know what would cause this issue?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 5 months ago.

Hi Welcome to Just Answer! How did you check your freon level?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did an evacuate and recharge with an ac machine, we have narrowed it down to the evaporator temp sensor, it is ordered. We are on hold for now until we get the new sensor in. Once we install the new sensor I will contact you if we still have issues. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got the evaporator temp sensor in still cycles,temp sensor is reading now. When system comes on both confessor fans run as they should. Pressures are 35 psi on the low side and 225 on the high side when compressor is running. If I set temp control half way between hot and cold compressor runs and rear fan runs. It only acts up when turned a few notches past the half way point toward cold.
Expert:  b5demon replied 5 months ago.

Your high side pressures are a little low try adding a few more ounces of freon and see if it helps any.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The system holds 2.20 lbs of freon, that's what I put in it. High side pressure should only shut the system down if pressure got to high, if I turn the temp control half way between hot and cold the compressor will run as it should, it only shuts off when I turn the temp control to a colder setting, by doing this the only thing that is changing is the position of the blend door, that shouldn't have any affect on the operation of the compressor.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I sent a message this morning, 11/9 at 8:54 am about the dodge sprinter, the vehicle is still not fixed. I was waiting on a reply to my last message and instead was ask to rate you. Once the issue is resolved I will be glad to rate your service.
Expert:  b5demon replied 5 months ago.

Sorry I wasn't online today the system fill spec can be off a few ounces. Most of the fill specs now have a plus or minus amount also. I'm worried about your high side pressure not being high enough causing your cooling issue. That can also be affected but the expansion valve so that may be the next thing you need to consider.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good morning, I added 3oz. Of freon to the system, nothing changed in the operation of the ac, my pressures this morning are 20 psi low side 105 psi high side. We have an ambient temp of 45 degrees this morning, low ambient temps equal low ac pressures. My pressure readings do not indicate an issue with the expansion valve, if it were a pressure issue why would it affect the fan operation? I know to high on high side or to low on low side will shut system down, but shouldn't affect the blower operation. Any other suggestions ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I send another message last week about the freon level and pressure readings, the vehicle still isn't fixed. I understand you want to get paid for your help as do I. As soon as we can come up with an answer that will repair this vehicle we can both get paid.