sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I just recently changed my fan clutch and as soon as I

Customer Question

I just recently changed my fan clutch and as soon as I finished cranked the truck 8 codes popped up trying to figure out what is going on
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No it would overheat for about 10 seconds when I first take off only when it's cold outside and I had the heater on then after that ran normall
JA: What is the model of your '10 Dodge?
Customer: The fan clutch has gone out many times before. But this time I all of a sudden got all theses codes after changing it
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a 2007 Dodge Ram diesel Yes I'm fixing myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

If you clear theses code and then run it again which code and or codes resets?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All 8 would you like the list
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Yes give me the list, changing the fan clutch should have not caused any to set. Let me have a look .

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
P0217, p0107, p0642, p0480, p0483 p1749, p1754, p0069
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All of these come on even if just the key is turned on I don't even have to crank truck
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

And If you clear them all of these return?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the check engine light never turned off and my computer says it's clear then I'll go back to my Gage's then go back to the dtcs and they are back on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When they first came on truck had no power like it was stuck in high gear but now is running fine just fan clutch is not blowing hard
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

What happens if you remove the battery cables and do a hard reset , which codes return. The P0480 and P0483 are cooling fan speed codes .

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't tried give me about 5-10 mins
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Yes please do. Let me know which ones reset.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was afraid of ecm or pcm faults because of all the codes together
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Let try a hard reset and see which ones return before you start replacing any thing.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok got the hard reset done reset the codes same 8 come back on
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Something dose not make sense here. Did you go back in and make sure nothing was left loose?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked my connections multiple times even changed the new fan clutch with another one to make sure that wasn't it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Made sure I was full of water
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Okay well this is something I do not think I can fix from here. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps some one else may have something else to offer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thx
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do u think about the ecm or pcm being out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Because of all the codes that it threw all of a sudden at one time
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they lead back to that
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

That is possible but I can not see why changing a clutch fan would have caused this to happen. If the codes where the before then yes its is possible.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I'm at a lost with this just don't know
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Im afraid this is going to require some hands on testing. I would think if the engine is running okay then its not a bad computer. The post is open, if someone has a fix, they will post back .

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you for your help
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If these codes started setting as a result of replacing the fan clutch then it is most likely shorted internally. If you disconnect the connector, clear the codes and start the engine does anything set other than the fan clutch codes?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry I just seen you wrote me back. After I did a hard reset all codes and check engine light came back on. About 1 hour later I had to go to town cranked the truck, the light was gone when I checked with my computer codes still come up but no light and been driving truck every since with no problem.
Have you disconnected the fan clutch, cleared the codes with a scan tool and ran the engine to see what codes return?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I haven't had a chance. I'm going out town this weekend so when I get back I will try it

Ok.