Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 2002 dodge cummins 24 valve leaking oil from the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 dodge cummins 24 valve leaking oil from the front cover where the round sections goes in the cover. Looks like a breather or cooler. How do I fix this is there a o-ring available? How
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- Buy a Timing cover gasket set and replace

These are the steps of the R &R of the timing cover

including the picture diagram ,just click on the blue link and it will open the picture

REMOVAL 1. Disconnect both battery negative cables. 2. Raise vehicle on hoist. 3. Partially drain engine coolant into container suitable for re-use. 4. Lower vehicle. 5. Remove radiator upper hose. 6. Disconnect coolant recovery bottle hose from radiator filler neck and lift bottle off of fan shroud. 7. Disconnect windshield washer pump supply hose and electrical connections and lift washer bottle off of fan shroud. 8. Remove viscous fan/drive assembly. 9. Remove the accessory drive belt.

10. Remove the cooling fan support/hub from the front of the engine (Fig. 179). 11. Raise the vehicle on hoist.

12. Remove the crankshaft damper (Fig. 180). 13. Lower the vehicle.

14. Remove the gear cover-to-housing bolts (Fig. 181) and gently pry the cover away from the housing, taking care not to mar the gasket surfaces. INSTALLATION 1. Obtain a seal pilot/installation tool from a crankshaft front seal service kit and install the pilot into the seal. 2. Apply a bead of Mopar Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant or equivalent to the gear housing cover. Be sure to surround all through holes.

3. Using the seal pilot to align the cover (Fig. 182), install the cover to the housing and install the bolts. Tighten the bolts to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) torque. 4. Remove the seal pilot. 5. Raise the vehicle. 6. Install the crankshaft damper (Fig. 180). 7. Lower vehicle. 8. Install the fan support/hub assy. (Fig. 179) and tighten bolts to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) torque. 9. Install the accessory drive belt. 10. Install the cooling fan and shroud together. 11. Install the windshield washer reservoir to the fan shroud and connect the washer pump supply hose and electrical connection. 12. Install the coolant recovery bottle to the fan shroud and connect the hose to the radiator filler neck. 13. Install the radiator upper hose and clamps. 14. Add coolant. 15. Connect the battery cables. 16. Start engine and inspect for leaks.

Please let me know if that is what you looking for

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The timing cover isn't leaking. If I'm looking at the motor on the right side there is a round breather looking object going into the black timing cover about 6 inches down from the top.

can you send me a picture of it , you can uploaded here for me

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am looking at the round object on the upper right of the outer black cover. What is that called and can I get a new seal. The leak is where this goes in the cover.

Hey i see the picture , I just cant find a good diagram and part # for it for you in my system

I will opt out of the your question and t another expert help you and they will have it and will assist you on it

just don't reply back to me and wait and until another expert to pick up the question ,because if you do the question stays locked to me and other experts want see it .

Thanks

good luck

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

That round unit on the front of the engine is the breather assembly. Give me a bit to get you a part number...

I'll be back with you asap, thanks for your patience and understanding while I research this for you...

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

I have been researching your concern and now have a bit of information for you...Let me know if you are missing any info or need an explanation of anything posted here...

Part number is *****

I'm posting the list of parts for this in case you need other parts also...

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

The above part number was the number for the breather assembly, if you want just the gasket the part number is *****

Thank you,

Robert