Tyler Langlinais
Tyler Langlinais,
Experience:  technation at melloy dodge
94156388

I have a 2004 dodge ram 2500 5.9l diesel 4x4 auto. I had my

Customer Question

I have a 2004 dodge ram 2500 5.9l diesel 4x4 auto. I had my engine rebuilt 2 years ago and it ran very well till mat to cylinders were going out, so in may i hired a reputable diesel shop to fix the engine again after speaking to the owner he has been in business for 30 years and he could fix the cylinders, after he pulled the engine he said the machine shop sent it back because it had chunks of metal in the block and could not be machined, he said he had an old 5.9l block in the shop he would give me ,so a fix became a total engine re-man job. how long should it take the rings to seat, it smokes worse than the engine i gave him and can you trace the block # back to the vin# ***** a lot of problems i dont trust the shop. i think he just said that to up the price of the build. to make a log nightmare short.. randy
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 2800 miles and the first service was at 500 miles
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no it was fixed at ashop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: its a long story , do i need to add all the other probles with th build
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There should be no smoke if the work was done correctly. If you're seeing oil smoke from the tailpipe then there is definitely a ring, cylinder wall, valve seal/guide or turbo issue.

Is it using oil

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a quart every 300- 350 miles. The only smoke I see is from the oil cap dipstick and crankcase venttube.

That's a definite sign of ring or cylinder wall problems then.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can u trace the block serial number to the VIN number, he said they had to replace my block cause it had metal chunks in it and could not be machined, so he gave me a core from his shop.

That would be internal corporate records from when a vehicle was originally built but it isn't something accessible to the public.

Expert:  Tyler Langlinais replied 1 month ago.

HI I AM TYLER I HAVE OVER 15 YEAR EXPERIENCE AS AN ASE MASTER AND A CURRENT DODGE EXPERT AT A DEALER. SO WHAT IS IT THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO FIND OUT. ABOUT THE BLOCK NUMBER AND WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS EXACTLY WRONG WITH YOUR TRUCK. I WOULD NEED THE VIN OF YOUR TRUCK TO LOOK UP THE BUILD SPECS ALSO I HAVE A FEW TESTS THAT CAN BE DONE TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THE ISSUE LIES. DID IT UES OIL WHEN YOU TOOK IT TO HIM THE VERY FIRST TIME? TAKE THE INTAKE HOSE OFF AND WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING (SO MAKE SURE THE KEY IS OFF) DOES THE IMPELLER AT THE TURBO MOVE IN ANY DIRECTION OTHER THEN SPINNING IF SO THEN YOU MIGHT JUST NEED A TURBO. IF YOU WOULD LIKE A CALL THEN I CAN DO THIS ALSO BUT WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF YOU CAN GET A LITTLE MORE INFO FOR ME SO I CAN BEST HELP YOU QUICKLY. THANKS LET MY KNOW WHAT YOU FIND.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
U can call the list of probation are to long to type. Over view re-man engine new turbo have had 13 new injesters in two months and had 14th drop out at 70 that has the whole 1st bank shut down. Its in a diffrent shop to verify its the injector before he gets it back and this guy says it my computer . Smokes out of every open orphis. Man said I had to drive 10000 miles foe the rings to seat and smoke will go away, BULL CRAP. He has not released the cummings tech sheet he is quoting from. Like I said night mare. Are you in houston tx I have to get to an expert to get the engine looked over and documented for court
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need my vin # ran to get the block serial number this is supposed to be a different block my vin # is 3d7ku28c84g202874
thats how it went from fixing the cylinders to an entire rr-man couse he said my block was no good.