Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Well, I'm wondering if I switch from the California ECU/PCM

Customer Question

Well, I'm wondering if I switch from the California ECU/PCM module to a 49 state module, I'll pick up some better performance with more advanced timing, etc
JA: Do you know your ignition timing number? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: I have the whole unit here in front of me. That's the one that bolts to the firewall with three plug-ins
JA: What year is your California?
Customer: I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with a V10
JA: Are you fixing your California yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well my old ECU went tits up and I replaced it with a Cal model, but I thought the other states would be kinder on timing and other things
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

There may be some compatibility issues between the California version and the 49 state version. If you can post the vin, it will help me determine this .

Thank you,

Robert