-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2005 dodge durango and it is not engageing into

Customer Question

I have a 2005 dodge durango and it is not engageing into gear and is making a whining noise, I have never had issues with the transsmission before, i went to leave my house 1 day and it clunked out of gear and acted like it was in nuetral and not engageing into gear and making a whining sound so I sent it to the tranny shop they told me the tranny is toast due to the cooler plugging up and overheating the transmission so I swapped in a known good transsmission i blew out the lines and the cooler no clogs now and it's still doing the same thing as before not engageing in gear and making a whining sound I'm stuck as to what I should do It has to be something with the vehicle not the transmission I would think since it did this same thing with my last transmission. Please help this is my everyday driver so as of now I'm carless.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

does it have reverse?

is it a 4x4?

does park hold the truck?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It does not have any gears, it is awd/4wd and yes park holds the car in place

ok

this isnt good at all

from the way you explain it sounds as if your problem is an internal hard part failier.

i would think the rear planet has broken.

sorry,i dont see an easy fix for this one..the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok well if you read the description from my original post I clearly said I had this not engageing and whining issue the tranny shop told me I need a new transsmission or a rebuild so I swapped in a known good transmission and the same problem is still happening! You told me something I allready knew and was written in my original post!

but it is a fact..

i would think you replaced the converter with the transmission also.if not,it is possible that the conver ter is bad,,but if you did replace the converter also,then this transmission is also bad

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That makes no sence when this transmission and converter came off of a known good driving vehicle from a friend of mine the transmission is not the problem

ok

stand by

i will opt out

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

If you swapped the transmission with a good one and it still won't move then you have a bad transfercase.. Being it's AWD then the clutches in the coupler are most likely bad.. Can you check the transfer case fluid and tell me what it looks like? Drain it and tell me if there is any metal..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check that out today, when this issue happened it clunked while I was driving then had nothing, 1 of the transsmission lines at the cooler was leaking a little fluid but does not leak now I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

Yes I'm almost 100% sure you will find the transfercase if your issue...

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok well how can I be sure it's the transfer case? I have another guy on here I'm talking to about it that said it can't be the transfer case
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

If you have another question open then your not going to rate both questions, so that means I won't be credited for helping so I will issue you a refund. Good luck

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If your help me figure out the problem then you will be credited but it dosent sound like your too confident in your work so I guess I'll stick with the other guy
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.
I've only worked on Dodges for 20years, I can assure you I can fix it but based on past experinces the customer won't rate and this isn't a free service to speak with a ASE Master dealership tech. But if you would rather me help you, I would be glad to.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

I will tell you that it's not a transmission issue and your wasting time testing the pressures.. Your issue is because it's AWD, you need to check the transfercase, front driveshaft, etc. You can remove the front prop shaft on a AWD and it will not move..

Glad I could help,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well I had checked the transmission cooling line and just as the other guy suspected it does not have good pressure
It had a steady stream flowing out when running then choked up and barely drips fluid very very weak flow from the pump.