Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

I have a 2000 dakota 2wd extended cab 3.9 v6. Brake lines

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dakota 2wd extended cab 3.9 v6. Brake lines are 3/16 metric thread bubble flare. What is the thread size for the brass tee that splits to to the calibers?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

did you pull out the lines into the brass fitting and they are confirmed bubble flare or double flare ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are bubble flare, but different size threads on either end
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

ok if they are bubble flared which you can visually tell by the extended tip on the tip of the nut with NO threads on it like this here

this is what you have here ?

just being sure

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

ok all bubble flairs are metric size the nut size you need that fits the 3 /16 line into will be a 4.75 MM

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It can't be. All of the thread adapters around the correct size are 10 or 11 mm. I went through them at the parts store. The problem is that I couldn't find a bubble to bubble adapter. Only bubble to inverted
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

to flair a 3 /16 brake line into the small brass junction block should be that small

maybe i am unclear on which brass we are talking about

are the old fittings no good that you took out of the brass ?

they only make 5 common double fittings

4.75 , 6 , 8, 10 and 12

are you 100 % sure that brass fitting is not a double flair ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no double inverted flares. The service manual even states that the brake lines are bubble flare, but does not indicate the size. If you buy a 3/16 (4.8mm) line with a metric thread, that will fit into the hose adapter that runs to the caliper. The other end of the line connects to a brass tee that goes to the master cylinder. The threads on the tee are larger than the threads on the hose adapter. Obviously dodge's way of preventing you from buying aftermarket parts. Therefore a bubble flare to bubble flare bushing is required. From what I could determine, the metric thread from a 1/4" line fits the tee, while the metric thread from a 3/16" line fits the hose adapter
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

lets see if another expert has run into this before

hang on another expert will reply back to you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nevermind. I think I found my answer. The hose adapter size is 10 mm 1.00 pitch and the tee is 12 mm 1.00 pitch