Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

On my 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi I have replaced the throttle

Customer Question

On my 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi I have replaced the throttle body, MAP sensor and spark plugs, but still have a misfire only around 1500 rpm. There are no warning lights or codes. What am I missing.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: No check engine, etc
JA: What year is your 1500?
Customer: 04
JA: Are you fixing your 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's all in the first paragraph I wrote
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Does this occur in park or only while driving?

Will your scan tool run a power balance test to see if this is one cylinder or multiple or random ones to blame?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I happens driving and only around 1500 rpm. This all started with losing throttle control. I started the truck and it would idle, but no throttle. The check engine and throttle control lights came on. I don't have a scan tool and can never get codes on my truck. I replaced the throttle body and still had no throttle control and the idle was all over the place. I took to my neighborhood shop and they determined it needed a MAP sensor, which they replaced. It ran good, but occasionally died at slow speeds when I took my foot off the gas. They suggested replacing the spark plugs. I did that yesterday. It runs better, but still will miss at +/- 1500 rpm
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, this truck has 150k miles

Thanks,

With no scan tool to perform more in depth monitoring to see what is going on. My next step would be to monitor the fuel pressure during these running issues to make sure its adequate. You want to see 56-60 psi while running. Do you know someone with a good scan tool?

.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Thanks,

.

Thanks Chris

22 Oct 2016, 1:21 PM

Offer Premium Service

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The shop I use could not detect anything on their scan and I don't know how to rig up something to monitor fuel pressure

We are kind of stuck not being able to do any of the diagnostics needed. Is there something your wanting to test that you have the tools to do so?

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciate the feedback, but today my check engine light came on, then the truck died and would not restart. I have it in a shop now. Thanks

Do you need any more assistance from me? If not can you rate the post to finish up the process.