Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Throttle wants to stick and run up by itself and is real

Customer Question

throttle wants to stick and run up by itself and is real slow to come back to idle 111xxx miles and new high pressure pump. Pump was replaced because of fuel leak
JA: Where exactly is the source of the leak? Could you take a picture of it if asked?
Customer: fuel leak was from the high pressure pump no leaks now
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 3500 diesel
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to get an idea if the injection pump that was put on is bad or if a different problem has came up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

From the explanation of the concern, I'm thinking that you have one or more failed injectors that are leaking into the combustion chambers. When this happens it tends to keep higher engine rpm and many times has a hard time coming back to idle. Another possibility is a failed turbocharger or piston rings allowing oil to enter and burn in the combustion chambers.

At this time my recommendation is to remove one or two injector connector tubes and inspect for signs of contamination. If rust is present on the connector tubes, then you MUST replace all injectors and connector tubes.

I'm posting pics for you to compare..

--->> Click Here to view <<---

The above pic shows the connector tube nuts that must be removed in order to pull out the connector tubes.

Below is a pic showing bad and rusty connector tubes.

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Below shows a new connector tube

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert