Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with a cummins

Customer Question

i have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with a cummins 6.7L. i am having problems with it shifting into overdrive. Sometimes it does just great. I come to a stock sign and then it wont shift into overdrive until I get to about 70mph.
JA: Has the transmission fluid been checked? If so, is it clean?
Customer: yes and it is up to the proper level when warm
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well I am on top of all my oil changes and I have my trans flushed every 10,000 miles. I am a farmer and I just want to know why it does it some time and then not
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: so I do most of my work myself breaks, hups, ujoints
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Has it been scanned for codes yet? If not, that would be the best starting point. We need to see if there are any codes pertaining to transmission operation. Another thing that comes to mind is the trans temp sensor. If this reading is out of range low (Showing freezing temperatures) it could inhibit shifting into overdrive. You would need a factory scanner or equivalent to monitor the temperature sensors.

Also, if you post any codes that were retrieved, I can help you get this figured out...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert