Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

How do I start my 1993 Dodge Ram 150, 3.9 liter V6 in the

Customer Question

How do I start my 1993 Dodge Ram 150, 3.9 liter V6 in the following emergency? My ignition switch just locked up and will only turn about 1/8 - 1/4 inch, enough to unlock steering wheel, but not enough to engage starter. I have removed 2-piece steering wheel plastic cowling and 3 Torx screws that hold black plastic ignition switch module, revealing the 2 locking bars. Upper bar seems to be for gear shift lever. I am not clear about the lower bar.
How can I get my Dodge Ram 150 started?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

With the Ignition Switch removed and in your hand and the electrical connection plugged in will the key turn any further than the 1/4"? Can you get it to start this way or is it still stuck?

Have you removed the Key Cylinder portion from the switch assembly to see if it is the key cylinder that is stuck?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert