Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez,
Experience:  lead technician at Performance Tire and Automotive

Have a 2009 Dodge Challenger with a 3.5. Just purchased it,

Have a 2009 Dodge Challenger with a 3.5. Just purchased it, it has 140,000 miles on it. Found it to have a water leak so I change the water pump and timing belt. have not driven the car since I got it . only started it a couple times prior to changeing the timing belt, when I first started it would idle really high 2000 rpm and then slow down . since putting in the timing belt and water pump I started and it idles pretty darn good . But when I touch the throttle there is a delayed response and then it goes to very high rpm's stays there for a second and then comes back down. It seems that the throttle has no corresponding response or delayed response to engine RPMs . What should I be looking for.? No check engine light yet. I did disconnect the battery let it sit overnight to see if it would change it ,did not.

Sounds like you might be off a tooth on timing. It may not seem like much but one tooth is enough to cause idle issues. Double check your timing marks.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Will do that Thursday evening when I get home. Was sure I had it right but I could be wrong. Thank you. Couldn't find a place to rate you

Before you start taking things apart to check timing check for vacuum leaks. Get a can of brake clean or starter fluid and spray around intake manifold, vacuum hoses and throttle area. If there is no change in idle while you are spraying go forward with checking timing marks. If there is a difference in idle when spraying repair the vacuum leak and recheck for idle issue.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for the suggestion, update. I have a medical issue that has just risen I'll be at few days for I see the car. Thank you
And once again I am not finding the rate spot.

Ok I'm new to this site so I'll look into that thank you.

trying this to see if rate option shows up.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Got it

Thanks for the positive rating.