Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care

I have 2010 caliber it started running rough, no power

i have 2010 caliber it started running rough, no power shaking and check engine light flashing
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: seems fairly consistent really rough around 2000 rpm
JA: Are you fixing your Caliber yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it just happened today its too late to look at it now maybe i will try tomorrow
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

When the engine light comes on and flashes it only means one thing...the engine has a misfire. That is what the shaking is all about, if you weren't sure already. It is really common for these engines to have faulty coil packs (coil on plug ignition systems). This can be easily determined by scanning the code and seeing which cylinder is misfiring and then moving the igition coil for that cylinder to another cylinder and seeing if the misfire moves to that cylinder.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok josh it was missing almost like a blown head gasket but no eveidence of oil in water. how do i check which cylinder is misfiring? i dont have a code reader

Without a code reader, it is more difficult but not necessarily undoable... you should try to unplug the ignition coils one at a time while feeling the engine misfire. If the engine begins to run much more rough when you unplug one, then it is working and not your problem cylinder...if you unplug one and notice no change at all, then you have found your cylinder.

Keep in mind that while you are doing this, remember to plug each one back in before you unplug any more

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Joshua, it worked like a charm. back running strong again! Many thanks.