Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

2004-5 ram 3500 srw auto,60k 6mo ago i replaced drivers seat

2004-5 ram 3500 srw auto,60k 6mo ago i replaced drivers seat foam, not a hard job now the seat will not go forward or backward. took the seat bottom off today so i could see, when i push the front switch the motor hums only rear switch does the same. it seams like something is jamed

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect the seat track for any jammed components causing this issue here.If any components are found jammed in the track they will need removed.If the track is seen to be bent then it will need replaced.If the track is o.k. then the fault is usually with the motor itself.It may be making noise but doesnt have any power to move the seat and can be a common fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
the description i gave was wrong the up & down on front & rear of the seat doesnt work, motors just hum the forward & backward work ok seems like it's jammed, sore y for the bad imfo i am a 80 year old retired machinist ,brain doesn't work right sometimes.

No problem.This is the same type of fault though.This is either due to a stuck/jammed recliner mechanism or the motor that controls the mechanism is faulty.I have seen both cause this type of fault here.What I have done in the past is removed the set covering to where I could access the motor and tap on it while trying to operate it.If the seat them moves even if slightly this can indicate an issue with the motor itself needing replaced.If it doesnt move then it may need removed and tested as well as to see if the seat reclines with the motor removed to see if the recliner needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete