Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I got a 4 lo blinking service light in 2wd, No I don't 😞.

Customer Question

I got a 4 lo blinking service light in 2wd
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No I don't 😞. If put the truck in 4lo it stops blinking
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge? I'll pass this info along to the Dodge Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What year is your Dodge?
Customer: 2006 Dodge Dakota
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know where to start. Was going to look the transfer case oil
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That it's
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

You will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan to retrieve the fault code from 4WD module so ,we can narrow it down to what happened

it could be the switch in the, the 4WD transfer case module , the motor actuator etc... sure check oil and change if never serviced it want hurt

and you can try reset it by disconnecting battery 15 minutes if it was a glitch and fault don't happen again again the light should go away ,if there is prob;em then it will come right back or after a you drive a little , so you will need a diagnostic scan

if you get it scanned you can post the fault code back here i can help you further

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks I changed my battery before this fault happen.l will disconnect it and go from there

you welcome

get some electrical contact cleaner from advance or aut ozone and unplu , switch ,module , actuator motor and spray in between the connectors in case there is an interment poor connection .

if you get some fault codes let me know ,or you need some diagrams or components locations etc...

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a can of deoxit D5
If have a picture of the electric shift motor l really appreciate it ��

hey

ok here is the picture you requested

there is 2 different transfer case and 2 different motors , i sent you both

1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable hoist. 2. Disengage the wiring connector from the shift motor and mode sensor assembly 3. Remove the bolts (3) holding the shift motor and mode sensor assembly (2) onto the transfer case (1). 4. Separate the shift motor and mode sensor assembly (2) from the transfer case (1).

1. Verify that the shift motor O-ring is clean and properly positioned inside the machined O-ring groove of the shift motor. 2. Add high temperature grease between the actuator and the transfer case mating surface for sealing purposes. NOTE: Verify that the shift motor position and sector shaft orientation are aligned. It may be necessary to manually shift the transfer case if the shift motor and sector shaft are not aligned. 3. Position the shift motor and mode sensor assembly (2) onto the transfer case (1). 4. Install the bolts (3) to hold the assembly (2) onto the transfer case (1). Tighten the bolts to 16 - 24 Nm (12 - 18 ft. lbs.). CAUTION:If the original shift motor and mode sensor assembly bolts are reused, be sure to use Mopar Lock & Seal or Loctite 242 to replenish the lock patch material originally found on the bolts. 5. Engage the wiring connector to the shift motor and mode sensor assembly 6. Refill the transfer case as necessary. 7. Lower vehicle and verify transfer case operation.

The shift motor (1) is an electromechanical device consisting of a DC permanent magnet motor, gear train, and an analog position sensor. The shift motors' overall function is to move and lock a gear that moves the mode and range forks found in the transfer case. This allows the transfer case to be shifted electrically to multiple operating positions (4LOCK, AWD, N (neutral), and 4LO). The operating current of the shift motor under stall conditions is 30 amps maximum at 72° F with 13.5 volts, at the motor leads. OPERATION Shifting in the transfer case occurs when a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) voltage is supplied to the shift motor by the Front Control Module (FCM). A linear analog position sensor located inside the shift motor, provides the FCM with the motors' angular, rotational position. With this information, the FCM continuously knows the motors' position, and therefore allows it to accurately control the motors' operation, including voltage polarity which is used to control motor direction.

Please don't forget to Rate me Before You exit Since That is How we Get compensated For our Time :)

Thank You

Chad

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician