Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

I have a 1998 dodge ram 5.2 and the engine sounds like it

Customer Question

I have a 1998 dodge ram 5.2 and the engine sounds like it wants to start but does not. I made sure we had spark and fuel and we have both. I replaced the crank position sensor and still no good
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 11 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 11 days ago.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors , proper fuel fuel pressure and good compression. If you are sure you have good spark and proper fuel pressure can you check and see if you have injector pulse as well as compression?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How do i do that?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 days ago.

You can check injector pulse with a standard 12 volt test light by placing the test end into the power side of any one of the injector and the ground end of the test light on the other wire and then crank in engine over. If you have injector pulse the light will flash while cranking the engine over. To run a compression test you will need to remove all the spark plugs and install a compression gauge and crank the engine over to check the cranking compression. If you can check these and let me know the results I will help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will contact you tomorrow.. Thank you
Expert:  Ron replied 11 days ago.

Your very welcome, Im here all day tomorrow , post back when your ready and we can work from there.