-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I had a bad ecm on a 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins which I

Customer Question

I had a bad ecm on a 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins which I replaced with a new one programmed to the VIN. I did the APPS relearn and then fired up the engine. I can now scan the ecm which i couldn't before but the engine will only rev to 1200 rpm. Found the APPS to be faulty, replaced it with a good used one and tried the relearn again but still only 1200 rpm. What is my next move?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

What device did you use to program the VIN? Where did you get the ECM?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Sam, I'm Rudy, my mechanical knowledge is all self taught. I own a repair shop, we do engine rebuilds, steering and suspension, and some electrical. I have a Snap-On Solus Edge at I use. The ECM was ordered online already programmed from a place called Reman Auto Electronics. Does that help?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

My first thought is that the scanner did not learn the throttle properly.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

I would suggest finding a different scanner and reattempt the throttle learn.

Can you pull the part number in the ECM with the scanner? Also please send VIN and I can attemot to make sure it was programmed correctly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The ECM came with instructions for APPS learn; turn ignition on, slowly depress and release accelerator pedal. That's it, nothing about needing a scanner for the procedure. I can't pull ECM part number with scanner, at least I can't figure out how. I believe it was programmed using the vehicle vin 3D7MA48C93G797844. The truck used to have an automatic transmission, now has a manual.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Did you disconnect batteries before installing ECM?

Your scanner should have a section called Module information in the ECM. You should also be able to verify VIN.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked every corner of the ecm section on the scanner, no module info. The batteries were disconnected when the ecm was installed but the ignition switch had been left on. As soon as batteries were reconnected the apps relearn was done. The engine ran rough at first until we switched out the apps with a known good one. Now it idles smooth just can't accelerate.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there still hope for this ecm or do I look for another one?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know what is wrong but I keep asking questions and you are not replying. I just get emails asking me to rate you. No answer, no ratings.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 month ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Do you still need help with this issue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Brad. Yes I still need help. Did I damage my ECM or can an APPS relearn still be done on it. The APPS % stays at 0 according to my scanner.