Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l. I couldn't take the shift lever

Customer Question

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l. I couldn't take the shift lever out of park. Then after probing around behind key boot with a screwdriver, the vehicle has no instrument lights and no crank. The shift lever however will move out of park. Battery is new, and headlights, radio, air conditioning blower has power.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Yes, triple checked all fuses and also checked all the relays
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to fix it, because it's a static display in my driveway. I have the control column apart and have tried disconnecting the battery for a computer reset.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it, tomorrow I plan on calling tow truck if I can't think of anything:(
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, did you check all fuses to make sure you didnt blow any?

Do you have a voltmeter to check voltages?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess you didn't read my issue. I checked all the fuses 3 times and relays to
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Sorry, missed that part.

Do you have a voltmeter to check voltages? It is possible that you shorted out part of the ignition switch so we need to check power there. It is a 14pin connector and will need to check the various wiring there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is the ignition switch the plug connected directly to the key and should I expect 12 volts out of each of the 14 pins
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

yes it is.

I have attached the connector pinout. If it says fused b, that means voltage all the time, even with key out. The others say what key position should be for voltage.

Check these and let me know which ones have voltage missing(if any do) or if voltage is extremely low.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just measured the voltages and found the following:
1. 12.53
2. 12.53
3. 12.53
4. 12.53
5. 12.53
6. ground
7. 12.53
8. 12.53
9. 0
10. 0
11. 0
12. .83
13. 0
14. 12.53
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, pin #9 gets power from fuse #9 in the engine compartment fuse box and pin #12 gets power from fuse #10 in the engine compartment fuse box. both are 40 amp fuses.

I know you said you checked them, but either the fuses are bad or you melted/shorted the wiring between the fuse box and the ignition switch.

These 2 power feed wires supply power to the pins that have no output voltage - 10, 11, 13.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

in case you need it for locating those fuses, here is the fusebox layout with the 2 fuses highlighted. These cartridge fuses can be blown without appearing so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked them with a continuity check this afternoon, but I do make mistakes. I'll check tomorrow morning again and tell you what I find. Thanks Eric
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, if they test good, take a really good look at the wiring going into the ignition switch connector. You could have melted wires touching each other and grounding out.

I will be online tomorrow from around 7am MST to about 10pm MST.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?