Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

My malfunction indicator light came on yesterday while going

Customer Question

My malfunction indicator light came on yesterday while going up a hill. It seemed fine the mile to my house. Later, when I was going to run an errand, the rpm's which usually rest at about .5 would then race up to 1. I put it in reverse and backed out of my parking space. It did fine. When I put it in to drive, it would do fine for a bit and then the RPMs would get to 2 just going 30-35 MPH.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: I did the switch from ACC three times and all I got were the dashes and then done. No codes.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Dodge Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: It's a 2008 Dodge Charger SE AWD.
JA: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will be getting an appointment with a mechanic on Monday. I've looked online last night and it looks like it could be anything from a sensor to a vacuum hose to the transmission. I also read where it could be something with the shifter unit clamps.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

are you near a Pep Boys or Auto Zone or a Firestone ?

either of those 3 places will scan the computer for the codes for free for you

you need to plug in a scan tool to pull the code set

if that light came on it saved the code in the computers history

once we know the code number we will know if this is a sensor issue or a transmission issue depending on which code is set

alot of time when the rpm,s are doing what yours is there is a transmission issue going on but we must be sure

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here