Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

Slight load while towing on engine and it coughs, Air comes

Customer Question

Slight load while towing on engine and it coughs, Air comes back through the air box, loss of power, progressively getting worse
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 days ago.

Is the check engine light on and if yes what codes are setting?

Are you planning on repairing this yourself or just looking at what it could be?

If you hold the brakes and slowly press the accelerator can you duplicate the condition?

Talk soon,

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No codes
I'll fix it. Replaced transmission and many other things so I'm ok with fixing it
Nope. Can't dupe
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Generally disappears if gear down and REV engine. But redlining up hills loaded is not a good option
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 days ago.

So it won't cough when you powerbrake it, but will when your towing? Does it feel like a torque converter bump? Did this just start today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No defitaely not torque converter. When it coughs I hear the air moving back out the air intake. Progressively got worse to unbearable in two years
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It's like turbo bark but it's not
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It bucks like crazy too
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 days ago.

So it's been doing this for 2 years now? When it starts coughing does it quit or just does it once? And the check engine light has never came on? Is the tone wheel on the balancer tight?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thought it was turbo bark. Like when you leave off the accelerator fast. But it just when fast down hill in the past two weeks. It quits when I leave off the accelerator and loose momentum or the better bet hammer it and it kicks down a gear and redlines
No engine light is the most agrevsting thing.
Balancer feels right but haven't torques bolts.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 days ago.

So it sounds like the wastegate opening? Can I get your VIN to check for any bulletins?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not the waste gate. Had the turbo replaced twice thinking that was it. It now has a 62/65/12 turbo from htturbo w an analog wastegate set at 35psi. Also replaced the lift pump w. Air dog. That didn't fix it either. And finally just had the cp3 rebuilt. Oh anda new s and b air box.
Thought the hot tube was collapsing so I put a 3.5 pusher hot tube. Argh
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
225,000 mi
Customer: replied 11 days ago.