-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Runs fine but hard to start. like its out of gas but

Customer Question

runs fine but hard to start. like its out of gas but eventually hits a few times and finally starts
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: fuel consumption has went from about 21 to 17 mpg
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2012 ram 1500 4.7 v8
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had fuel pump replaced but it didn't fix it. I just cleaned the mass air sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: got up last sunday and battery was completely dead. only 2 momnths old but has not done that since
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

When it's hard to start can you test fuse M25 and tell me if it has 12v? This is a common issue and if you don't have voltage then reply back so I can tell you how to fix it before it leave you stranded..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no way to check voltage but the fuse is good
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

If you want to fix this yourself then I will need for you to grab a test light and see if the fuse has voltage when it will not start..

Talk soon,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Are you going to test it? Also are you asking your question here to get an idea on what could be the problem or are you going to be repairing this yourself?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Repair myself if simple repair
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

Ok if you can see if the fuse lights the test light when it will not start I will be able to tell you how to fix it. I see that you replaced the fuel pump and to be honest the OEM pump was most likely good.. You will be able to fix this yourself if you have a solder iron and about 30min.. We sell a kit to repair this..

Let me know what you find,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does the switch need to be on when I check 25?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

The ignition switch? Yes you need to be cranking it and the engine needs to not be starting when you test it.. Yiu may not be able to do it today if it's running fine.. But when it won't start have the test light ready and see if M25 has voltage.. If it doesn't then your fuel pump is not coming on which is why it will not start.. I went ahead and attached the bulletin describing what is going on and how to fix it..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad