Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Truck want restart after cutting off. Replaced 5 year old

Customer Question

Truck want restart after cutting off. Replaced 5 year old battery and had power based on the under hood light coming on. When attempting to restart hood light went out and truck did not even attempt to turn over, no power tranfer at all.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last eight digits of vin number SS146690 144,015 miles on odometer
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

What condition are the battery cable ends on your 1995 Ram Truck? Can you take pics and post them here? If they are dirty can you thoroughly clean them and reinstall on the battery and retest?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cables are clean and complete and are connected to a brand new battery, this is not the source of my problem . I did all of the rather obvious things before I even started to ask for advice. From a common sense standpoint there is something defective that is not allowing the battery power to complete its normal route and I can assure you that it is not the battery or cable connection.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is getting near darkness at my location and my truck is in a remote location. I must terminate our conversation and get some help to move my truck to a safer location. I have decided to have a local mechanic appraise my problem tomorrow morning. I am not very satisfied with the just answer approach and , I had hoped for better but now I know.
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Sorry for the delayed response. Lost internet connection...

IF the battery cables are as old as the truck, don't rule them out yet. Keep in mind that it is definitely possible for there to be a problem internally with the cable inside the insulation where it can't be seen.

I understand that you will be having it checked out in the morning.

Please remember that I am still here for you in case you need a "Second Opinion" on the diagnosis from the shop you will be visiting. If needed I can give you my thoughts on their conclusion and If the charges are in line with what you are having done....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert