Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I changed the power steering pump and now its making a

Customer Question

hello. i changed the power steering pump and now its making a whining noise
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: i just checked it today and yes when turning the wheel but the steering is not hard
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1999 dodge grand caravan
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my in law changed it for me and i tried jacking the front up and turning the wheel back and forth
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Most likely there is still air trapped in the power steering system causing this issue here.Below is the proper power steering bleed procedure that needs followed to remove all air.I would do this one more time properly and see if this corrects the fault.If it continues try it again as sometimes purging all air can be difficult.If the procedure is not done correctly this issue occurs as well.

CAUTION: The fluid level should be checked with engine off to prevent injury from moving components. Use only Mopar(R) Power Steering Fluid. Do not use automatic transmission fluid. Do not overfill.

Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate FULL COLD when the fluid is at normal temperature of approximately 21°C to 27°C (70°F to 80°F).
1. Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two 2 minutes.
2. Start the engine and let run for a few seconds. Then turn the engine off.
3. Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
4. Raise the front wheels off the ground.
5. Start the engine. Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops.
6. Add power steering fluid if necessary.
7. Lower the vehicle and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
8. Stop the engine. Check the fluid level and refill as required.
9. If the fluid is extremely foamy, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the above procedure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yea I just tried it n the noise is still there the fluid is fine n there is no bubbling
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
When I turn the wheel it's making the noise
Expert:  Pete replied 10 days ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was offline when you replied last night.

Was this a noise issue before the pump was changed as well?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No the noise wasn't there till after the pump was changed but the noise sounds as if there was no power steering fluid in the reservoir
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

O.k.,since the noise was not an issue until after this was replaced and you have followed the power steering bleed procedure here it sounds like you have obtained a faulty power steering pump.I have seen some of these faulty new out of the package and had to parts warranty it (obtain another new one from the facility you purchased it from at no cost to you) and replace it again,then follow the correct bleed procedure above to correct this issue.

If the procedure was followed,you have no air bubbles and fluid is full the pump is faulty needing replaced again unfortunately.I would contact the facility you got it from and let them know and they should be able to provide one at no cost to you.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete