Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I have a Dodge 2006 3500. The battery cable going to

Customer Question

I have a Dodge 2006 3500. The battery cable going to Alternator gets really hot what can I do to fix this I'm stranded
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 2 months ago.

does the vehicle Start & Run?
how far do you need to go?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The truck does start and run that's when it gets hot there was an issue with wires that had been run to the battery earlier they touched together and melted previous owner had run for inverter probably 10 gauge wire I removed wire cleaned it up no other wires were affected but I checked when starting to see if cables would get hot and the wire on passenger side going to alternator gets hot

IF the Alternator Cable is getting HOT, then there is either an issue with AMP draw from a component, or Battery is shorted internally, or the Alternator Charging Circuit / Voltage Regulator is bad.
This vehicle uses a PCM / Internal Voltage Regulator & use of Dodge Scan Tool or Equal is needed to Test the Charging Circuit
IF the Voltage Regulator proves bad, the PCM will need replaced

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 month ago.

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.
Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.