Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1989 Dodge 1500 with a 318 last winter it started

Customer Question

Good Evening, I have a 1989 Dodge 1500 with a 318 last winter it started stalling while warming it up (it gets -30) This summer it started stalling as I was driving it maybe after about 5 mins or so of heading out. I have to wait a few minutes before it will start again. I am thinking ICM however I am not sure how to test that before buying a new part. Can you please help
SuZan
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The year is 1998 NOT 89 sorry for the typo
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Suzan, your 318 dose not have ICM (ignition control module) . The coils are fired by the signal from the CKP (crankshaft position sensor ) to the PCM (computer). When the engine stalls on you are you loosing spark and or injector pulse? Can you scan the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the response I am hoping you did notice the year is 98 on the truck. When this first started happening. It was last winter. I live in an area that goes well below freezing. I would start the truck it would run for about 10 mins then just quit. By the time I would get back out there it would just fire back up. When it has stalled resently while driving I have to wait a few mins before it will fire up. If I try to turn it over right away it just turns over not firing and I have to wait longer. I have scanned it for codes. The only code the truck has ever thrown is o2 sensors. All that has been removed and it has straight exhaust. I have only owned the truck for two years. When I got it I did put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor in it. It does not really have much mileage on it since as it is only my secondary vehicle. The actual mileage on the truck is 360000 KM (225000 Miles) as for being able to check for spark. On would have to be pretty fast on the jump as it will start again with in less then 5 mins. I hope this helps narrow down something. As winter is setting in again and it has started to act up more often. It also seems to do it realy in the first 15 mins or so. Thank you SuZan
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

In order for the engine to start and stay running you need good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors and proper fuel pressure.As hard as its going to be all of these are going to need to be checked to determine which it is your loosing. If you can somehow do this that would sure help narrow it down .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hmmm okay any suggestions on how to accomplish that. One other thing when it does quit. There is no sputtering like its running out of fuel it just quits. There is no indication its going to happen at all.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

If its acting like the key was shut off then its likely not fuel . One common cause for this type of problem can be cause by a failing crankshaft position sensor but in most cases it will usually set a code.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay I will see if I can scan it again tomorrow as today is a holiday here and every thing is closed.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

Sure thing, let me know the results and we can work from there .