Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have code readings of p1128 and 1129 and I don't know what

Customer Question

I have code readings of p1128 and 1129 and I don't know what it is please help me
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: o1128 and p1129
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2008 dodge charger 2.7 and I'm sorry p1128 &p1129
JA: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried nothing yet and I have a mechanic but I wanna know exactly what to fix
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just that I need some help fixing the problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

P1128-CLOSED LOOP FUELING NOT ACHIEVED - BANK 1

P1129-CLOSED LOOP FUELING NOT ACHIEVED - BANK 2

In closed loop fueling, the computer takes readings from the oxygen sensors which read +/- of 14.64 AFR (Stoich) and makes corrections for it. If your car is idling @ 13.5 AFR, the 02s can see this, and will know to pull out enough fuel to get back to stoich.In open loop, the fueling is purely based off the MAF transfer function and the open loop fuel table. This table has to be calibrated any time you make MAF changes, and changes that affect the airflow of the MAF.When a car is started, the computer is in open loop until certain criteria is met - ECT sensor reading, O2 sensors heating up,MAP/MAF sensor readings.

Because it both banks are staying in open loop condition, either the ect sensor is not giving a correct reading or thermostat is sticking open and not allowing coolant to reach operating temperatures, fuel pressure is incorrect due to weak pump or clogged filter, O2 heaters not functioning properly, PCM faulty, or even base engine fault such as incorrect engine timing.

To walk you thru all the testing needed to determine which is at fault, you will need a scan tool with live data capability and testing functions, a voltmeter, a fuel pressure tester with gage, infra-red temperature gun, and cylinder compression tester.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?