Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

Dearest, I have the same no bus, no start, no spark issue.

Customer Question

Dearest Chris,
I have the same no bus, no start, no spark issue. Other symptoms are gauges don't work, fuel pump and engine/ASD relays not buzzing. I've spent numerous hours reading online. Then I read a post of yours from 7 years ago!!! It's pointing me in the right direction. You seem extremely knowledgeable. I have a 2003 Dakota, 3.9L, 6 cylinder. I do my own mechanical work. I'm a novice with anything electrical, so please be simplistic in your response. I found the PCM pinout connector diagrams from another website. I included anything I thought might be relevant. My readings are follows:
2 fused ignition switch output 0 volts
17 5 volt supply .06 volts
22 fused B+ 12.3 volts
31 ground 0 volts
32 ground 0 volts
31 5 volt supply .06 volts
3 ASD relay control 12.3 volts
12 ASD relay output .06 volts
28 CCD bus (-) 0 volts
30 CCD bus (+) 0 volts
With extreme gratitude, Dawn
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 14 days ago.

Prior to any Repair or Parts.......You need to have use of Dodge DRB Scan Tool or Equal to read ALL Trouble Codes & access the Instrument Panel & / or the PCM, otherwise you will just be "guessing"
NO BUS is "No DATA Communication" between the Instrument Cluster & the PCM
This is a 50 - 50 repair "IF" you do not use a Scan Tool to help Isolate the cause
Many times the Cluster is at fault & "Repair / Replace is needed, but you will need Scan Tool for Programming, unless you find a Seller that can Pre Program from the V.I.N.
Same thing with the PCM.........

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I get all of that, however, The ASD and fuel pump relays aren't even powering up. I never purchased a scan tool because I can pull up codes by turning over the key several times. The codes appear in the odometer. How do I know if I am getting power to the PCM or if I have a bad wire powering the PCM?

They won't "power up" without a input from the PCM to activate the Relays
The Instrument Cluster supplies the DATA needed to the PCM
You cannot do a On Board Scan when NO BUS is present
Dealer Scan Tool or Equal that can read ALL Trouble Codes & access the Instrument Panel & / or the PCM is needed

You can test "both sides" of Fuses, but if you have the NO BUS message present, a blown fuse / Voltage is not likely the cause

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 11 days ago.

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.
Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I purchased a scan tool. I have no trouble codes. I was hoping this would help. What now???
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 3 days ago.

The Scan Tool needed has to be similar to Dealer Scan Tool that can read DATA from the different Modules, PCM & Instrument Panel
Most Scan Tools that read DATA are apprx $1400.00 & up
Generic low cost Code Readers cannot read DATA for this issue