Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

Blower would work occasionally, had to hit it a time or two,

Customer Question

Blower would work occasionally, had to hit it a time or two, won't work at all not. Just changed the resistor with no change
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2007 dodge ram 1500 mega cab 5.7
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Checked all of the wiring for loose connection or heat damage, checked ignition switch, and changed the resistor
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: It did one time about a month ago, RPMS dropped off and it stalled but started right back up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Replace the blower motor. That will correct your problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Sounds like you have a dead spot in the blower motor.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is what my next step was going to be
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

hvac blower fan

MOTOR-BLOWER

DESCRIPTION

BLOWER MOTOR

Fig 1: Motor-Blower Description

Courtesy of CHRYSLER LLCView Full-Screen

The blower motor (1) is used to control the velocity of air moving through the HVAC housing by spinning the blower wheel (3) within the HVAC air inlet housing at the selected speed.

The blower motor is a 12-volt, direct current (DC) motor mounted within a plastic housing with an integral wire harness connector (2) and squirrel cage-type blower wheel (3) that is secured to the blower motor shaft (4). The blower wheel is positioned within the air inlet housing on the passenger side end of the HVAC housing.

OPERATION

MOTOR-BLOWER

The blower motor is used to control the velocity of air moving through the HVAC housing by spinning the blower wheel within the HVAC air inlet housing at the selected speed.

The blower motor will operate whenever the ignition switch is in the Run position and the blower motor control is in any position except Off. The blower motor receives battery current through the totally integrated power module (TIPM) whenever the ignition switch is in the Run position.

Blower motor speed is controlled by regulating the ground path through or around the blower motor resistor and through the blower motor control located within the A/C-heater control.

The blower motor can be accessed for service from underneath the instrument panel.

NOTE: The blower motor is supplied with a 12V feed from the TIPM, through the blower motor resistor, whenever the ignition switch is in the RUN position. Due to an open circuit condition within the blower motor control switch the TIPM is UNABLE to detect an OPEN circuit for the blower motor.

The blower motor control system is diagnosed using a scan tool (refer to HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING - ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS for more information).

The blower motor and blower motor wheel are factory balanced as an assembly and cannot be adjusted or repaired and must be replaced if found inoperative or damaged.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

MOTOR-BLOWER

WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.

To determine if an open condition exists within the blower motor circuit wiring, it is necessary to disconnect the negative battery cable and check for continuity within the blower motor circuits using an ohmmeter. For circuit descriptions and diagrams, refer to appropriate SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS article .

OPERATION

Possible causes of an inoperative blower motor include:

1. Open fuse
  2. Inoperative blower motor resistor
  3. Inoperative blower motor switch
  4. Inoperative blower motor
  5. Inoperative blower motor circuit wiring or wire harness connectors

NOISE

To determine if the blower motor is the source of the noise, simply switch the blower motor from Off to On. To verify that the blower motor is the source of the noise, unplug the blower motor wire harness connector and operate the heater-A/C system. If the noise goes away, possible causes include:

1. Foreign material on fresh air inlet screen
  2. Foreign material in blower wheel
  3. Foreign material in HVAC housing
  4. Improper blower motor mounting
  5. Deformed or damaged blower wheel
  6. Worn blower motor bearings or brushes

VIBRATION

Possible causes of a blower motor vibration include:

1. Improper blower motor mounting
  2. Foreign material in blower wheel
  3. Deformed or damaged blower wheel
  4. Worn blower motor bearings

REMOVAL

BLOWER MOTOR

Fig 2: Motor-Blower R and I

NOTE: The blower motor is located on the passenger side of the vehicle under the instrument panel. The blower motor can be removed from the vehicle without having to remove the HVAC housing.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the passenger side cowl trim panel. Refer to REMOVAL .
  3. Disconnect the HVAC wire harness lead (1) from the blower motor (2).
  4. Remove the HVAC wire harness lead from the two wire harness retainers (3).
  5. Remove the three screws (4) that secure the blower motor to the bottom of the HVAC housing (5).
  6. Remove the blower motor from the HVAC housing.

INSTALLATION

BLOWER MOTOR

Fig 3: Motor-Blower R and I

1. Position the blower motor (2) into the bottom of the HVAC housing (5).
  2. Install the three screws (4) that secure the blower motor to the HVAC housing. Tighten the screws to 1.7 N.m (15 in. lbs.).
  3. Connect the HVAC wire harness lead (1) to the blower motor and install the wire harness lead into the two wire harness retainers (3).
  4. Install the passenger side cowl trim panel. Refer to INSTALLATION .
  5. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks