Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Well I just replaced the starter on my truck and now I'm

Customer Question

Hello! Well I just replaced the starter on my truck and now I'm having an idle problem when I turn it on the truck starts and is able to drive but then when I take my foot off the gas pedal it dies
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It's already a gas hog being a ram 1500 5.7
JA: What year is your Ram 1500?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing it myself. So far I replaced the wheel hub which went great. The starter is new because the old one was crap. Those were the only problems. But now since I replaced the starter the truck isn't idling correctly
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm able to turn on the truck, it starts and turns over. It won't idle.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.

This is usually caused by a throttle body that has become coked up with carbon deposits. When the throttle body gets dirty, then the airflow going around the throttle plate gets restricted. This can cause low or no idle and sometimes stalling when coming to a stop. You most likely disconnected the battery when you replaced the starter, and the PCM lost count of where the idle motor should be. The other thing it may be is an idle motor that is sticking and cannot react fast enough to maintain an acceptable idle. I recommend purchasing a can of spray throttle body cleaner and clean out the inside of the throttle body. Be sure to clean the throttle plate paying attention to the edges of the plate (follow the directions on the can). If you still have this problem, then replacing the idle motor would be the next step.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this,

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer. Please let me know,

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hello? Do you still need help? were you able to see my answer? Hello?

Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Chris