Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I installed a reman 4.7 into my 06 Dakota 4x4 6spd. The

Customer Question

Hello. I installed a reman 4.7 into my 06 Dakota 4x4 6spd. The previous engine dropped a valve seat I believe and I drove it 3 miles home on 7 cylinders. I keep getting PO300 code and the occasional PO 158 or 1158. I forget. I replaced all engine sensors and egr valve. I did not replace the MAP sensor or TPS or IAC valve. The truck runs great has great power no hesitation but occasional stumble when hitting the clutch after deceleration in gear. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I will send you the diagnostic steps for this code. You will need to do some tests to diagnose this code.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

p0158

Diagnostic Test

1. 1) O2 SENSOR ABOVE 3.99 VOLTS

NOTE: When only one O2 Sensor is shorted to voltage, the scan tool will display all O2 Sensor voltage readings at approximately 5.0 volts. When diagnosing this DTC, only diagnose the O2 Sensor that set the DTC.

Start the engine.

Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature.

With a scan tool, read the 2/2 O2 Sensor voltage.

Is the voltage above 3.99 volts?

Yes

1. Go To 2).

No

1. Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure.
    2. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
  2. 2) (K243) O2 2/2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE

Fig 2: Checking O2 Sensor Signal Circuit

Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.View Full-Screen

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle.

Disconnect the 2/2 O2 Sensor harness connector.

Measure the voltage on the (K243) O2 Sensor 2/2 Signal circuit in the O2 Sensor harness connector.

NOTE: Measure the voltage in reference to ground, not the (K904) O2 Return Downstream circuit.

Is the voltage above 0 volts?

Yes

1. Repair the short to battery voltage in the (K243) O2 Sensor 2/2 Signal circuit.

No

1. Go To 3).
  3. 3) (K904) O2 RETURN DOWNSTREAM CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE

Fig 3: Checking O2 Sensor Return Upstream & Downstream Circuits

Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the C2 PCM harness connector.

Ignition on, engine not running.

Measure the voltage on the (K904) O2 Return Downstream circuit in the 2/2 O2 Sensor harness connector.

Is there any voltage present?

Yes

1. Repair the short to battery voltage in the (K904) O2 Return Downstream circuit.

No

1. Go To 4).
  4. 4) O2 SENSOR

Fig 4: Checking O2 Sensor Return Upstream & Downstream Circuits

Turn the ignition off.

Connect the C2 PCM harness connector.

Connect a jumper wire between the (K243) O2 2/2 Signal circuit and the (K904) O2 Return Downstream circuit in the 2/2 O2 Sensor harness connector.

Ignition on, engine not running.

With a scan tool, monitor the 2/2 O2 Sensor voltage.

Is the voltage between 2.3 and 2.7 volts with the jumper wire installed?

Yes

1. Replace the O2 Sensor.

No

1. Go To 5).

NOTE: Remove the jumper wire before continuing.

5. 5) (K243) O2 2/2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN

Fig 5: Checking O2 2/2 Sensor Signal Circuit For Open

Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the C1 and C2 PCM harness connectors.

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller Special Tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.

Measure the resistance of the (K243) O2 2/2 Signal circuit from the O2 Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

1. Go To 6).

No

1. Repair the open in the (K243) O2 2/2 Signal circuit.
  6. 6) (K904) O2 RETURN DOWNSTREAM CIRCUIT OPEN

Fig 6: Checking O2 Return Circuit Open

Measure the resistance of the (K904) O2 Return Downstream circuit from the O2 Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

1. Go To 7).

No

1. Repair the open in the (K904) O2 Return Downstream circuit.
  7. 7) PCM

NOTE: Before continuing, check the PCM harness connector terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Repair as necessary.

Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wire harness and connectors. Pay particular attention to all Power and Ground circuits.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

1. Repair as necessary.

No

1. Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Update: now after driving around all day today, I am no longer getting any po158 codes. It did do something strange however. It now stumbles when first started up hot and driven off within 5 seconds of startup. It feels like the throttle doesn't do anything except bog the engine. When I release the throttle pedal and wait appx 5 seconds, it returns to normal. One thing that it is also doing during this time is the idle is fluctuating between ~750- ~450 and back to normal ~750. Right now I'm much less concerned with the o2 sensor code and trying to get rid of this po300. I don't feel any misfire under normal driving. Only at startup when hot and immediately starting to drive do I even see the issues.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You need to find out which cylinders are misfiring. While the engine is at idle, unplug the injector connectors or the coil packs one at a time, if the rpm changes you know the cylinder is firing. If no change then you found the cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No individual cylinders are misfiring. When running. I did the removal of coil test and all cylinders were running properly when reattached. Could a sticky EGR cause the PO300 DTC. There are no more codes regarding the O2 sensors. Only 3 PO300 codes set according to my scan tool.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes an egr valve could cause this. Vacuum leaks, mass air flow or map sensor would affect all cylinders as well.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks