xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  asetech
6149662

Second opinion] - and my 2006 Dodge cummins 2500 is burning

Customer Question

Second opinion] - hello I'm ***** ***** and my 2006 Dodge cummins 2500 is burning oil, with what seems like excessive blow-by from my oil cap an dipstick as well as from under the truck from a tub of some sort. im new to 5.9 cummins and I have no idea what to do.
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: three days ago.
JA: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: all I have tried so far is changing the oil. Im not sure what else to do.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Dodge
Expert:  xsvector replied 2 months ago.

how many miles?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
198000
Expert:  xsvector replied 2 months ago.

I have seen this problem caused by a few different things like oil level too high, excessive blow by and the crankcase vent oil drain plugged.

The first thing I would do is check the oil level. Then smell the oil to see if it smells like there is diesel in the oil and check to see if the oil looks very thin. If the oil smells like diesel or feels thin, you will likely have diesel getting into the oil, which will cause the problem you are having likley a injector issue. If diesel is getting into the oil, you likely have a cracked injector.

The next thing I would do is check to see how much blow by the engine has. Every engine will have blow by, but it shouldn't be excessive. The blow by tube is located on the left side of the engine near the starter and with the engine warmed up and idling you shouldn't see excessive smoke coming out of the tube. It is very hard to explain what is considered normal without seeing it. Excessive blow by is caused be worn rings, cylinder walls or pistons.

There is also a oil drain tube that goes from the crankcase breather on the valve cover to the engine block. The crankcase breather is supposed to separate the oil from the blow by and it should return back into the crankcase through this tube. If this small tube is plugged the oil will be forced out the crankcase tube near the starter

Check your crank case ventilation , if it is plugged it doesn't vent the crankcase pressure, and it will make it look like your rings are worn and that there is a lot of blow by.

The crankcase vents to the intake, any where in the intake circuit, usually close to the airfilter.

If nothing is blocked, the rings are worn...

I hope this helped

Expert:  xsvector replied 2 months ago.

do you need more help?

Expert:  xsvector replied 2 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!