Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2003 dodge sprinter surging while driving at times. 2.7 L

Customer Question

2003 dodge sprinter surging while driving at times. 2.7 L DIESEL
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault here at all or have you had the fault codes checked?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pete what is going on i have just paid and am getting no response
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Did you get my previous reply above at all?Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you switched me over to a technician and i never got a response from my info please fix the situation
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Here is the post I posted to your question about 28 minutes ago:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i already paid
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Im not sure if your seeing my replies here did you get my last post I posted about 30 seconds ago?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pete you switched me over to another technician
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I think you are referring to Pearl who is out automated help to get you to me.Can I help with this at all here or was there someone else you were working with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no lets start from the beginning
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,no problem

Has the check engine light come on at all or have you had the fault codes checked at all using a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your model?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
check eng. light was on with multiple dtcs mass air ,water in fuel, low fuel pressure egr plauseability . changed fuel filter external replaced boost hose at engine was split. original problem was engine would start idle fine when u went into drive no power no speed 5 miles per hr with lots of black smoke. now starts in am fine drives fine . after u shut off and let sit for half an hour when u start driving the first mile you feel engine surging then clears up
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Are there any new codes coming up now or are any of these codes showing up again?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no check engine light has come on but there is a code for egr
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Was the egr ever replaced?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please call me
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no egr was never replaced
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to call on this here myself.I can continue here though and others will see you requested a call and may call you on this.

If the egr valve pintle is sticking this will cause the surge feel you have here.This is common as I have seen before and had to replace the egr valve on this model.It is located at the front of the engine as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j51ybwj0471883g/egr-10-03.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i felt the pintle was sticking freed it with wd 40 is it possible valve still not closing or functioning properly
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

In some cases I have done the same and free'd it up this way but in some of those instances the valve was still not operating properly causing this surge issue and I had to replace it.So even though you have free'd it up there is a chance that the valve is still operating incorrectly with it needing replaced and is most common for this code/issue especially since you already replace the common split hose/resonator for the turbo.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete