Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Are you a real person? ok....where are you located? 1992

Customer Question

Are you a real person?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Dodge Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: ok....where are you located?
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1992 dodge one ton van 350
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am having a hard start problem
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: cold start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is the check engine light on?

Has it been scanned for codes?

How long does it take before it starts and does is smoke black from the exhaust when it does start?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Since this is a 92 van Try this: Sometimes you can get the vehicle to display the codes for you via the Check Engine Light, just cycle the key on and off 3 times within 5 seconds and leave it "on" on the last try, look at the Check Engine Light, and it may start flashing "Codes". Basically it will flash 2 digit codes and end with a 55. (in other words, if the lamp flashes once, then pauses and flashes 2 times, that is a code "12"). Write down all of them and post them here...Let me know if you are able to get codes in this manner and we can continue from there...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, the check engine light is not on. I have scanned for codes with my Snap-on MT 2500 scanner. The code that comes up is 32; An open or shorted shorted condition detected in the EGR solenoid circuit. I cleared the codes by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it and I got the same codesagain. Code 32. I traced the the 16DG/OR (ground wire) to the splice and then to the alternator, I could not find any breaks or issues. When I look at the scanner with the engine running I can see that the EGR valve is opening and closing when I accelerate the engine. I did change the distributor cap and rotor. No change. I also changed the Idle speed controller. Problem still exists. But what I do notice is that the Auto shut down rely and the fuel pump relay start clicking when I try a cold start. When the clicking happens the check engine light flashes at the same time and in the same timing as the above mentioned relays. It takes a few minutes to start after turning the engine over and pumping the gas. It pops and sounds like it is backfiring and when it finally does start and idles very rough but eventually smooths out and runs quite well. When it first starts there is black smoke that comes out of the exhaust pipe. It has been doing that for quite some time now.Hi not sure what is going on here. I have a response from a Amedee as well...who do I run with.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You contacted me first...and my response was in answer to your questions. The vin of the vehicle is 2B7JB31Y2NK119551
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

No problem, it appears you completed a call with him. You can request a refund for this question via customer service..

Thank you,

Robert